Nothing in Pandora’s Box report is new, nothing has to be invented, and all information is available to everyone on this planet. None of this information is originally mine (except my thoughts). My question is; why is nobody in the world ringing the bell?
- Earth temperature is rising.
- Global warming is caused by an imbalance of the carbon cycle.
- Imbalance of the carbon cycle is caused by burning fossil fuel.
- We are using fossil fuel because our demand for energy and lack of alternative sources.
- To restore the balance of the carbon cycle we need to compensate emissions of carbon.
- Reduction of energy (other than reduction through better efficiency) means reduction of economic growth.
- The use of solar panels, wind turbines, nuclear power plants etc, will not reduce the current CO2 levels in the atmosphere. It will reduce the demand of fossil energy.
- Ecosystems are closed carbon systems, untouched they will release the same amount of carbon as it takes. Ecosystems are temporary carbon storage’s.
- The cheapest and most effective way to remove carbon out the atmosphere is by photosynthesis.
- The cheapest and most effective way to bring carbon back to the lithosphere is to produce bio charcoal from plants and trees.
- Indonesia has millions of hectares of low carbon land available, former rainforest.
- Paulownia is the fastest growing tree species available for photosynthesis.
- Converting 14 million hectares of low carbon land into plantation will offset the energy used by a power-plant of 60,000 Megawatts, enough to provide 1, 5 billion American homes energy. If used to produce timber it can produce more than 120 million Cubic Meters log per year.
- Converting 14 million hectares of low carbon land into plantation will create between 6 and 10 million sustainable jobs.
- The start of a project like this can be fast; also the revenue (capture CO2) starts as soon the first tree is planted.
- As long we do it in a professional way with professionals this solution can and will be the first step to close Pandora’s Box.
Before you say I’m crazy, have a look again at the pictures. Compare the Chevron Gorgon project with our United Nations tree planting army, Look at the devastating state of low carbon land at Kalimantan and see how we can transform it. Look again at the amazing properties of paulownia or just google “Global Warming casualties 2012”
I’m angry because we give the job of saving the lives of millions of people (who will die because of global warming) to volunteers and children.
I’m angry because we created a system of carbon credits, a system what is not measurable or countable. The world should know what it means if we make from carbon a commodity or financial instrument. The banks will love it; after the real-estate bubble they need something new.
I’m angry because we throwing billions of dollars hard-earned tax money away in the wrong direction. Stop for a period of 10 years looking for new data about the rising temperature. Put that money towards something that we already found out.
Mankind has the knowledge, skills and resources to pull a job like this; it will bring a safer and cleaner planet, it will create jobs, it will generate growth it will save lives. A better environment and growth can go hand in hand.
You should get angry to; don’t accept it anymore, start demonstrating, this time not against pollution but against sitting on our asses and doing nothing more that talking, spending our taxes on useless conferences and more investigations and predictions. It’s time to do something we already know
Help by forwarding this letter to everyone you know, your family and friends, your colleagues, to oil and gas companies, political parties, governments, presidents, senators, schools, banks, health-organizations, United Nations, Greenpeace, everyone you can think of.
Maybe that effort will get the ball rolling.
Piet de Vries.